Easy Accordion Flowers How To for room or party decor
Accordion flowers are a very inexpensive do it yourself party or room decoration that adds a little whimsy to your theme and decor. Perfect for a spring, summer, or garden tea party, these accordion flowers are very simple to make. They would also look great mixed with paper pinwheels.
What type, shape, and size of paper do I need?
You can use any type of paper including construction, regular colored copy paper, or scrapbook paper. Try upcycling a newspaper or magazine. You can use either square or rectangular shaped paper.
As far as size, it’s up to you! It’s nice to have a variety of sizes for wall decor in a nursery, tween, or teen bedroom. If you are using a rectangular piece of paper, the folds should be along the shorter width.
How to Make Accordion Paper Flowers
- Wooden Dowels or BBQ Skewers (optional)
- Double Sided Tape or Hot Glue and Glue Gun
- Circle or Flower Craft Punch (optional)
Watch the Video
A visual learner? Watch DIY Inspired’s Instagram Reel on how to make these.
- Fold two pieces of paper like an accordion (approximately a one inch in width) and fold in half. If you are making a smaller sized accordion flower, then shorten the width size.
- If desired, use scissors to cut a scalloped edge, or use craft scissors.
- Adhere both pieces together with double stick tape or hot glue.
- Glue to a wooden dowel and add a center embellishment if desired. A glue gun works well for large flowers and the wooden dowel and glue remains hidden.
- Use a craft punch and decorative paper or a button for your center embellishment for both the front and back.
Ways to Use Paper Accordion Flowers
- Punch a hole and add string or ribbon to hang each accordion flower for the ceiling.
- Add a wooden dowel to place them in flower pots or in the ground.
- Hang them in varying sizes and patterns on a wall to create a unique piece of art.
- Make mini flower ornaments.
Tip: To make smaller ornament sized flowers, cut one inch strips of paper, fold like an accordion, adhere the end, lay flat and fasten the center with an embellishment. Hang each paper flower by a string on branches to create a cute centerpiece perfect for a wedding or bridal shower or baby shower. Make several color variations and sizes to complete your party look.
Other Cool Craft Ideas