Easy DIY Felt Donut Costume for Book Character Day
This easy DIY felt donut costume for kids is perfect for Book Character Day at school. These days, elementary schools have gone away with regular Halloween parades and replaced them with Book Character Day. The students must dress up as a positive or inspirational character and bring the book to school with them. This way, scary or inappropriate costumes at school are avoided.
Here’s What You Need
Time: 1 Hour
The headband, felt, and pipe cleaners pictured here were purchased at Joann.
- Half Yard Tan Felt
- Half Yard Cream Color Felt
- Pipe Cleaners
- Brown Marker
- Hot Glue and Glue Gun
- Various Sized Bowls or Round Objects
Sizes will depend on the size of the child.
Making the Donut
- Trace a large mixing bowl onto the tan felt and cut it out.
- Trace a slightly smaller mixing bowl on the cream colored felt and cut it out.
- Cut waves around the edge of the cream circle.
- Find the center of the cream circle and trace a small round object for the donut hole.
- Cut out the center hole.
- Layer the two circles, centering them, and glue together with hot glue.
- Cut small 1” strips of pipe cleaner in different colors and glue them on the donut for sprinkles.
Repeat the above steps to make the back side of the donut costume.
Putting it all together
Measure around the shoulders and sides of the child to add shoulder straps and side straps.
- Cut the appropriate lengths with the left over felt, approximately 2” wide.
- When positioning the straps, make it loose enough so that the child can easily put the costume on and take it off.
- Glue the straps into the insides of the donut.
Making the Headband
- Cut out two ears out of the cream felt.
- Mark three brown dots on the right ear to match the dog in the book If You Give a Dog a Donut.
- Glue the two ears on a white headband with hot glue.
Completing the Final Donut Costume Look
It is suggested to wear all white underneath the costume, just like the book character. You can also use brown makeup to put a circle around the child’s left eye and black makeup for the nose.
This costume is also great for any child or adult who wants to be a donut! It’s easy and comfortable to wear.
Before you go, check out Literary Pumpkin Decorating Ideas!