How to Make Recycled Milk Jug Flowers by Using the Bernzomatic ST2200
This article, DIY Recycled Milk Jug Flowers, is sponsored by Bernzomatic. All opinions are 100% my own.
The Bernzomatic ST2200 is so handy for many types of crafts. Here are a few of my favorites that I have done in the past:
- DIY REPURPOSED SPOON HOOKS
- RESIN MOSAIC TRAY WITH RECYCLED CDS AND DVDS
- DIY ALCOHOL INK COASTERS
- UPCYCLED PENNY TABLE
- DIY WEDDING BOUQUET PHOTO CHARMS
Today I want to share how to make flowers out of recycled milk jug by using your Bernzomatic ST2200 to do two things:
- To bend and shape the flower petals, and
- To smooth rough edges
Watch the Video Tutorial
Here is a video tutorial for your reference. Keep scrolling to find a complete list of materials and detailed instructions.
Here is What You’ll Need
Time: Approximately 1 Hour
- Clean Plastic Milk Jug
- Mixed Media Scissors
- Bernzomatic ST2200
- 5 oz. Bernzomatic Butane
- Hot Glue and Glue Gun
Before You Begin
This craft is intended for adults. Please be careful when lighting and applying the flame to the plastic. The plastic does not need too much heat in order to bend and shape. Keep the flame away from your fingers. A good tip is to only slightly touch the tip of the flame to the petal. After applying heat, the petal will be cool enough to touch in just a few seconds.
Making the Recycled Milk Jug Flower Petals
- Make sure your milk jug is clean and completely dry. Remove any stickers.
- First, cut off the spout and handle with mixed media scissors. Then, cut the jug into small sheets.
- Cut out the petals. They don’t need to be perfect.
- To add dimension to the flat petals, quickly apply heat with the Bernzomatic ST2200. Pinch the bottom of the petal and gently mold and bend the petal. Repeat this technique for all the petals.
- Lastly, cut out a small circle and fringe it all the way around. Fold the slits up and in. This will be the center of the flower.
The size you cut is up to you. The two large flowers pictured in this post have:
- 5 large petals
- 4 medium petals
- 3 small petals
- 1 fringed circle center
The smaller flower shown in this post has:
- 6 medium petals in two layers
- 1 fringed circle center
Note: The Bernzomatic ST2200 can also be used to smooth out the edges of the petals. You will need to do this if the edges of your petals are rough. I found this to happen when cutting smaller petals. To do this, simply glide the flame around the edge.
Using Hot Glue to Form a Flower
Once all the petals are shaped, it’s time to hot glue all the petals together to form the flower. Start with the five large petals. Use a dab of hot glue, attaching each petal one by one. Next, glue the four medium petals on top of the large layer. After that, glue the three small petals on top of the medium layer. Lastly, glue the fringed circle to the center of the flower.
Uses for Your Recycled Milk Jug Flowers
As you can see, I used these flowers for gift wrapping embellishments. You can also:
- Add stems to make a bouquet for your home décor.
- Use them for party decorations.
- Place them on your tabletop as part of your holiday table centerpiece.
- Use them as name place card holders when entertaining for dinner.
- Glue them to a framed painted canvas to make wall art.
I hope you enjoyed my DIY recycled milk jug flowers tutorial. Leave me a comment and let me know how you use your Bernzomatic ST2200!
Like it? Pin it!