This article is sponsored by Bernzomatic. All opinions are 100% my own.
Make these rustic glam wood burned table place cards when entertaining this Christmas.
My best girlfriends and I try to get together for the holidays every year to celebrate our friendship. This year, I wanted to make our table setting special and personal for them. I decided to make place cards with their photos. These are easy to make and fit the hip rustic glam trend that is in this holiday season. Here is how you make them in a few simple steps.
Time: 30-40 Minutes
- Small Unfinished Wood Plaques
- Bernzomatic ST2200
- Bernzomatic Butane
- 160 Grit Sandpaper
- Craft Punch and/or Scissors
- Decoupage Medium
- Foam Paint Brush
Creating the Wood Aged Effect
- The Bernzomatic ST2200 is perfect for a small craft like this one. First, fill the torch with Butane in a well-ventilated area. I did this step outside. To do this, hold both the torch and the butane canister upside down. Place the butane canister and torch together to allow the fuel to flow into the torch. It will be filled in about 10 seconds. A good indicator that it is full is a small splatter of fuel will come out.
- Next, turn on the torch. Slowly glide the flame over the wood plaque moving in the direction of the wood grain. Turn the wood over and repeat.
- Sand the plaques with medium grit sand paper like 160. Sand any rough edges. Sanding it will create a soft rustic dark finish.
This is a great technique to use on any unfinished wood craft projects. It is also quicker, easier, and less messy than staining wood with paint.
Adding the Photos
- Next cut out photos of your guests. I found it helpful to use social media profile photos. Resize the photos to fit your plaque. I also made them black and white. Print them out on photo paper.
- Cut out the photos in the correct shape and size. This will vary depending on the wood shape you choose. I used a paper cutter and a two-inch circle craft punch.
- Place decoupage medium directly onto the wood plaque as well as the back of the photo using a foam brush.
- Place the photo in the center of the wood and allow it to dry for a few minutes.
These wood burned table place cards make beautiful and personalized place card holders for your table setting while entertaining. You can also screw in a small eye hook at the top and add ribbon to make a Christmas ornament or to use it as a gift tag.
Bonus Tips for a Successful and Safe DIY
- Only use Bernzomatic butane for your ST2200.
- Keep the torch away from children.
- Allow the torch to cool after use.
- Make sure the torch in unlit when not in use.
- Read and follow the manual and instructions.
A special thank you to Bernzomatic for sponsoring this article!
Watch the video tutorial!
Like it? Pin it!