How to Make a Tutu and Hair Pom Poms for a DIY Cruella de Vil Costume
I’m not going to lie; my youngest didn’t want to be Cruella de Vil for Halloween. She had never seen 101 Dalmatians, so she had no clue who Cruella was. My oldest daughter and I came up with the family theme this year of Disney Villains and thought Cruella was perfect for our little Nala. Once I came up with this DIY Cruella de Vil Costume for Kids, she was so happy once she had the costume on. You can see it in her face in the video… and here too!
In this post, you will learn:
- How to Make a Cruella de Vil Inspired Tulle Skirt
- How to Make Black and White Pom Pom Hair Ties
Watch the Video
Here’s a quick DIY video to help you. Keep scrolling for the full instructions if needed!
Cruella de Vil Tulle Skirt
Time: 30 Minutes to 1 hour
- Ribbon (for Waist)
- Red Tulle
- Black Tulle
- White Tulle
- Paw Print Ribbon
- Black Felt
- Hot Glue and Glue Gun
- Measure the desired length of your skirt. For this skirt, I measured 14” long.
- Cut DOUBLE the length of tulle. For example, each piece for this skirt is 28” long.
- Measure and cut the length of ribbon to be tied around your waist. Be sure to leave enough ribbon to tie a bow in the back.
- Fold each piece of tulle in half and create a lark’s head knot around the ribbon for the waist. I alternated colors: white bib, black on sides, and alternated 5 red and 1 white for the rest.
- Continue until you have the desire width to fit around the child’s waist.
- Cut out black spots and hot glue them down the white areas of the skirt.
- Lastly, tie paw print ribbon in a bow on each side of the bib.
Cruella de Vil Inspired Pom Pom Hair Ties
Time: 10-15 Minutes
- Black Tulle
- White Tulle
- 5” X 4” Piece of Carboard
- 2 Hair Ties
These pom poms can not only be used for hair ties, but you can use them as gift wrapping embellishments or party decorations. They are quick and easy to make.
- Start by wrapping the tulle around the 4” width of the cardboard. I wrapped the tulle around approximately 12-14 times.
- Carefully remove the tulle from the cardboard and tie it tight around the middle with another piece of tulle.
- Cut the loops of the two sides with scissors.
- Fluff the pom pom on all sides and trim around the edges for a finished ball shape.
- Find the center of the tie and loop a hair tie through and out.
I put Nala in a plain black long sleeve shirt and then we ordered red gloves from Amazon. The gloves were too big, but she loves to wear them! Stay tuned for my tutorial on how to make a 101 Dalmatians trick or treat bag.
You May Also Like
Check out our other Disney Villain DIY Costume Ideas: