Cheap DIY Costume Beard and Mustache for a School Play or Halloween Costume
You know I LOVE Halloween and everything that comes with it including making the costumes. Sometimes, however a costume comes up that is needed that is NOT for Halloween, like this DIY costume beard and mustache I made for my best friend’s son. He needed it for a school project. The problem was that it was too costly to buy one for a 3-minute school presentation.
This beard with mustache costs about $2.00 (don’t forget your Michael’s coupon) to make and it’s quite easy and simple. You can watch the video tutorial, but if you need more instruction, I have all the details below.
DIY Costume Beard and Mustache Video
Here’s What You Need
Time: 30-60 Minutes
- Felt Sheet
- Hot Glue and Glue Gun
- White Ribbon or Cord
The size and shape will depend on the person, however I found that free handing this was very easy. The shape shown fits both adults and kids.
- Fold a felt sheet in half. Draw half of your beard shape. I free handed this. Next, draw half of the mouth and cut it out. Again, the mouth was free handed. It’s bet to start small and cut bigger as you size it.
- Next, using the left over felt, cut small strips for the mustache. Glue them to the upper lip area. Once they are glued on, you can fringe it even further, as shown in the video.
- To make the beard curls, cut strips of felt about a half inch thick. The lengths will vary. It’s best to start towards the bottom so you can layer upwards. Place a dab of glue first for the top of the strip. Then, twist to curl, gluing the boom down.
- Repeat step 3 until the beard it covered. Lastly, trim the beard where necessary.
There is no right or wrong way to do this. Remember that you can always layer and trim. Layering will make a fuller beard. It’s up to you!
You can make these in any color and any length:
- White for Santa or Zeus
- Black or brown or red for a lumberjack, Wise Man, biker, Viking, pirate, etc.
- Gray for an old character or wizard
Here is the lightning bolt I made out of cardboard to go with the Zeus costume.
I hope you like it!
You May Also Like
- GLOW IN THE DARK DIY SWORD
- THREE LITTLE PIGS DIY COSTUMES
- DIY MINECRAFT COSTUME INSTRUCTIONS
- DISNEY VILLAIN FAMILY HALLOWEEN COSTUMES
- DIY BULLWINKLE COSTUME