I was asked to help with an Owl Themed first birthday party for the end of this month. Naturally I’m SUPER excited about it! My cousin (Hostess) was inspired by retro style cartoon owls. She sent me a few pictures and I was able to come up with these DIY invitations. I created a mock up for her (pictured below) and she was super happy. Here is how I made these Owl Themed Invitations.
The size of the invitation was very strategic for me because it is the most budget friendly. Therefore, using my measurements for this tutorial will be most cost effective for you. One 12X12 sheet of scrapbook paper will make 6 base invitations (as shown). This tutorial is for 24 invitations.
Here are the materials you need:
- Paper Cutter
- 1.5” circle craft punch (eyeball)
- 1” flower punch (iris)
- Small flower or circle punch (pupil)
- Small whole punch to connect the wings to the body with a brad
- Glue and double sided tape.
- Circular Plate
- Computer Paper to print information
- Scrapbook Paper
- 4 sheets patterned paper for the body cut in 6 – 4”x6” invites
- 7 – 2”X12” solid color strips for the eyeball
- 5 – 1.5”X12” solid color strips for flower iris
- 3 – 1”X12” black or brown strips for pupils
- 6 – 3”X12” strips for the wings in the same color paper as the eyeball
The photos are self-explanatory but here are some helpful tips:
- I found it easiest to use a small paint brush to apply the glue for the eyes since the pieces are so small.
- Create a pattern, trace, and cut, for the wings. One wing strip will make four wings for two invitations.
- Use a circular plate and a pencil to trace out the owls ears and rounded bottom as shown.
- The envelop size is a standard invitation size of 4.75”X6.5”. You can purchase a pack of 20 for about $5.00 and any craft supply store.
Here are some the AFTER photos.
Here is the YouTube tutorial I made: