Clever Coat Hangers that You Can DIY
One of the best parts of blogging, is visiting other blogs and being a part of the blogging community. There are so many interesting and unique projects and not to mention, creative blood out there to inspire us! I’ve noticed so many clever coat hangers, and I had to share a few. My ABSOLUTE favorite, the vintage trophy coat rack is from Design Sponge. I’m going to have to recreate this one for sure! Anyone want to part with some old trophies? More on that below.
Upcycled Coat Hanger DIY Tutorials
You can, of course, upcycle something old and make it new again. Below, you can see a coat hanger I made out of flooring planks. The full tutorial can be found here: Upcycled Flooring Plank Coat Rack.
You can also change up an existing coat rack. I found one on clearance and then painted and stenciled it to fit my daughter’s room decor. Here is the full tutorial: Stenciled Coat Rack.
I find old silverware in almost every thrift store I walk into. Here is a tutorial on how you can turn spoons into hooks for a coat hanger.
Making one from scratch is easy as well. Here is a Photo Ledge Coat Rack that my friend Laci made.
Coat Hangers as Wall Art
Here are some cool ideas for coat hangers from some of my favorite websites that double as wall art!
- Babydoll Coat Rack from Craftzine- OK, so this first one is a little odd (shown below), but I’m sorry… I think it’s absolutely ingenious! I have seen doll parts at flea markets and always wondered who the heck bought those.
- Vintage Trophy Coat Rack from Design Sponge – favorite! You can always find trophies at thrift stores and garage sales.
- Autumn Coat Rack from Casasugar- so simple and pretty, this would look cute in a nursery or kids room. You can find knobs at Hobby Lobby or second hand stores like Habitat for Humanity Restore.
- Make a rustic farmhouse coat rack out of metal pipes.
- Create a coat rack from tools for your garage or man cave.
Hanging a coat hanger with two hooks
The worst part of coat hangers is figuring out how to hang them evenly. I wrote an entire post on the easy way to hang a picture with two hooks. Check out my secret to an even hang!
Other Cool Craft Ideas
Here are several other creative craft ideas for you to consider. The first post is a list of several DIY ideas to not only beautify, but organize your child’s room, 31 Kids Room Ideas You Can DIY and 12 Spring Craft Ideas for Adults.
This post was originally written in August of 2011 and has been updated and improved.